Part-Time, Dementia Friend & Companion jobs, St. Austell, Cornwall – Car Drivers Essential.
Have you ever thought about a career in care?
Have you ever thought I could not do that? Well, what if you can?
We have seen more and more people join us to become Dementia Friends & Companions, many joining us whilst on furlough or after being made redundant and many saying they wish they had changed careers sooner! We have recently employed Dentists, Hairdressers, Retail Assistants, Chefs just to name a few and it is amazing what transferable skills you can bring, and we offer AWARD WINNING TRAINING and fantastic progression opportunities.
You could care.
May* is 98 and lost her husband some 25 years ago, and she has always been independent. She regularly had her hair shampooed and set every Thursday, did her shopping every Friday and watched Challenge TV on repeat. When May started to show signs of early onset Dementia her family started noticing small things at first, small things that concerned them, she was not doing the things she used to do. There was dust in the bath suggesting she was not bathing; the bed had not been slept in suggesting she was not going to bed at night, and she had also stopped watching TV over fear of using the electric. So, the family called us. Here is what we do for May:
- We visit May in the Mornings, Lunchtimes & Evenings – May has two regular Companions.
- We cook breakfast for her, she loves porridge every morning.
- We shower May three times a week, she can do most of it herself, but we stay close by.
- May likes a cooked dinner, in fact she has gained weight since we started caring for her, she will say she does not eat much but this is not true at all!
- Because we cannot go out at the moment, on an afternoon, we watch Challenge TV and sometimes bake cakes, she loves making plate pies (Her late husband loved them).
- On an evening, we provide much needed companionship before bed, make sure any medication has been taken and help her get undressed. May loves to read so we always make sure she is happy and settled before we leave for the evening.
Who are we?
We are a unique Award-Winning Provider of Companionship Led Care. When we say Companionship led care, this is because every one of our Dementia Friends & Companions are carefully matched so that the care provided is never awkward, you are more like a friend and an extension of their own family. It is also companionship led because we do so much more than just pop in, all our visits are a minimum of an hour, meaning we not only ensure that their care needs are met we also enjoy the time we spend together.
- £10.30 per hour weekdays, £10.60 Weekends, plus mileage.
- £12.00 per hour weekend evenings, plus mileage.
- Paid Travel & Waiting time.
- Early mornings, evenings & some hours on alternate weekends.
- Excellent initial training, ongoing support & development.
We are looking for people from all walks of life, no matter what your age or previous background to join us as a Dementia Friends & Companions, it is not work, it is a pleasure! There is care, then there is Companionship Led Care!
If you are interested in applying but you do not have a CV, please email us directly with some brief history about yourself, why you want to join us and please include your full address, postcode and if you are a car driver. If you have any questions about this job, please do not worry once you have applied, we will call you to discuss everything with you so please do not let one question stop you applying! We cannot wait for you to join our team.
*May is just an example of someone we would support, all our client’s needs, interests and hobbies vary. The care we provide is always personalised to each individual.