10 to avoid scaring your staff into the arms of your competition.
- Mud sticks! if your company culture and environment stink – so will your reputation. Create a positive workplace and have positive staff.
- If a job’s worth doing – don’t do it yourself!Micromanaging makes people feel undervalued and undermined. Delegate effectively – and show your people you trust them.
- Sticking to the job spec is sticking two fingers up to your staff! Be flexible, be grown up, be human – and use the job spec as a guide, not the gospel!
- Ask – don’t tell! Include your people in your decision making – and help them to feel they have a stake in your business. If you freeze them out, you’ll drive them out.
- If they can’t grow, they’ll go! Not providing opportunities for job progression is a sure fire of keeping your staff turnover high. Give them a career path – and develop them with coaching, mentoring and training.